As the global pandemic stretches into a third year, Starbucks remains committed to doing our part to contain the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the well-being of our customers and partners (employees) in every community we serve.
Our three guiding principles
① Prioritizing the health and well-being of our partners and customers
② Playing a constructive role in supporting health and government officials as they work to mitigate the spread of this virus
③ Showing up in a positive and responsible way to serve our communities
Scroll or select a topic below to learn more about what we’re doing.
What we’re doing for our partners
We encourage all partners to get vaccinated to protect themselves and their communities, and have contingency plans in place for those who are exposed or test positive for COVID-19. Starbucks partners can access comprehensive benefits information here.
Make a vaccine plan:
- Up to two hours of paid time off for partners to receive the vaccine, up to three doses.
- Up to 4 hours of paid time off if partners experience vaccine-related side effects and miss a scheduled shift within 48 hours of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine or booster shot.
- Self-isolation pay for partners diagnosed with COVID-19. Partners exposed to COVID-19 will also receive self-isolation pay through April 4, 2022.
- Up to two rounds of isolation per quarter.
- Expedited Starbucks Cup Fund grants for partners experiencing financial hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Store Closure Support:
- Transferring partners impacted by closed or modified hours to other stores.
- Pay to partners unable to work due to precautionary store closure.
- Free access to the Headspace app for mindfulness and meditation.
- Up to 20 free sessions a year with a certified counselor or coach through Lyra Health.
- Expanding the Care@Work program to provide support for partners needing childcare options.
For more detailed information, view all of our key milestones throughout the pandemic.
What we’re doing in our stores
Starbucks strives to meet or exceed all public health mandates, as it is our responsibility to protect our partners and customers in the communities we serve. To find a store that is open near you, visit the store locator on Starbucks.com or the Starbucks app for locations and hours.
Use of facial coverings:
- Starbucks recommends partners and customers review CDC guidance for their community when deciding whether to continue to wear a facial covering indoors.
- Where mandated by local law or regulation, Starbucks requires customers and company-operated store partners to wear masks while in our stores.
Partner (employee) precautions:
- Prior to beginning every shift, all Starbucks partners (employees) complete a symptom check to ensure they are healthy enough to work.
- Starbucks cleaning and sanitizing protocols meet or exceed public health guidelines.
What we’re doing for our customers
While the dine-in experience has changed across all stores, we continue to serve customer needs through safe and convenient methods, including drive-thru service, digital ordering and contactless pay. Each community is different, and we trust our local partners to create the safest environment for customers to enjoy the Starbucks experience.
Upgraded Starbucks App & Rewards:
- Using the Starbucks app, Rewards members can locate a store, order ahead and pay, and determine the most convenient pick-up option at the store.
- Starbucks Rewards members’ Star expirations are paused through April 1, 2022.
- Customers can an order in the café and take their order to-go, or use the “order ahead” feature in the Starbucks app to pick up items at the store.
- Customers can order at the drive-thru or pick up an order placed ahead on the Starbucks app. Varies by location.
Mobile Order & Curbside Pickup:
- Customers can order using the App, then park in spots designated as “Mobile Order & Curbside Pickup” and a barista will deliver to the car. Available in select stores.
- Customers can order their favorite Starbucks beverages and food for delivery through Uber Eats. In many U.S. markets.
What we’re doing for our communities
We are dedicated to serving our communities in a constructive role through the lens of Our Mission and Values: to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
Thanking front-line responders:
- To date, the company has donated 1.2 million+ cups of coffee to first responders and health care communities.
- The Starbucks Foundation and Starbucks helped Operation Gratitude send care packages to more than 100,000 front-line heroes.
Addressing food insecurity:
- The Starbucks Foundation has donated more than $1 million to Feeding America’s COVID-19 response fund and other food banks.
- Starbucks supports the goal of long-term food security through donations to local food banks through our FoodShare program, and by reinvesting $100 million into hunger relief efforts by 2030.
- To date, the company has donated 47.3 million pounds of food, providing nearly 40 million meals*, and invested more than $50 million in hunger relief.
- The Starbucks Foundation has distributed more than $1 million to more than 400 local organizations across the U.S. and Canada to support COVID-19 community response, inspired and informed by Starbucks partners (employees).
- In Seattle, The Starbucks Foundation helped to launch the city’s COVID-19 Response Fund in early 2020, and has invested more than $1 million in organizations across our hometown.
- The Starbucks Foundation has donated more than $5 million to support global COVID-19 relief efforts around the world, partnering with key organizations like the United Nations Foundation in order to ensure those who need the most help get it.
Supporting coffee-growing communities:
- The Starbucks Foundation has donated more than $2 million to support relief efforts and protect lives and livelihoods in coffee and tea growing communities around the world, which have reached more than 200,000 people to date.
*According to the USDA, 1.2 pounds of food is the equivalent to one meal.
See more ways we’re supporting our partners, customers and communities: