As a people-first company, Starbucks is committed to enhancing the lives of all who touch the business, from our customers to our partners (employees). In 2013, Starbucks made a commitment to serve our Veteran and military community. As part of our partner promise to bridge to a better future, we continue to enhance our support for the military community, including Veteran and active military partners and their families. Throughout the last ten years, Starbucks has hired over 40,000 Veterans and military spouses. The company also has a commitment to hire 5,000 more each year going forward and continues to build out its support to the military community through new relocation services, community building efforts and mental health support.
Through an announcement made on July 31, 2023, Starbucks is proud to strengthen its support for the U.S. military community.
- Starbucks is providing a new centralized service that connects partners to Starbucks opportunities as part of its transfer policy for partners going through relocation.
- Starbucks is also building on its work with Lyra Health to ensure Veteran partners and their families have personalized mental health support.
- Starbucks aspires to more than double its Military Family Store count, expanding the program footprint to 250 stores by 2025. Starbucks will locate 100 of these new stores on military bases. Of these stores, select locations will be designed to recognize and honor each of the armed forces in unique ways.
By the Numbers
- 500 Hiring Fairs Attended Across Nation — supporting transitioning service members, Veterans and military spouses.
- 14 Employment Summits Sponsored — with Hiring Our Heroes in support of their 100k Military Spouse Hiring initiative.
- Armed Forces Network — An internal business resource group with 13 chapters across the country with a mission to welcome, engage and empower Starbucks Veteran, Military Spouse, and Advocate Partners in cultivating a strong community embraced in the workplace and enriches the Starbucks experience.
- The Starbucks College Achievement Plan — The Starbucks College Achievement Plan (SCAP) provides all eligible U.S. partners (employees) the opportunity to receive 100% upfront tuition coverage for a first-time bachelor’s degree through Arizona State University’s online program. Through the program, partners who are current or former members of the United States Armed Forces can extend an additional SCAP benefit to a qualifying family member of their choice to receive the opportunity for a high-quality undergraduate education. To-date, there have been 11 graduates and 19 current participants who have utilized this +1 benefit.
- Military Family Stores also serve as a foundation and model of engagement for hundreds of stores in military communities to advance Veteran causes, accelerate the hiring of Veteran and military spouses and bridge the civilian-military divide. Through partnerships with Veteran Service Organizations, our Military Family Stores link local Veterans and their families to important resources, services and shared community.
- 26,000+ military families supported in partnership with Blue Star Families.
- 200,000 Veterans and supporters provided with programming and events to build a healthy lifestyle in their communities in partnership with Team Red, White & Blue.
- 16,000+ Veterans deployed in service in partnership with The Mission Continues.
- 625,000+ individuals have been impacted in partnership with Operation Gratitude.