Updated April 2022
Learn how Starbucks is working to ensure a better future for people and the planet from ethical sourcing to stores powered by the sun.
We are working to make coffee the world's first sustainable agricultural product.
- We partner with Conservation International in committing to purchase 99% ethically sourced coffee.
- We are donating 100 million coffee trees to coffee farmers; 60 million already distributed.
- We are a founding member of the Sustainable Coffee Challenge, collaborating with 100 industry members.
We invest in clean, green energy to power our stores, reduce our environmental impact and support access to green power.
- We invested more than $75 million in renewable energy, making us a leader in the retail sector for the past two years.
- Worldwide, Starbucks purchases enough renewable electricity to power 100% of our company-operated stores in the U.S., Canada and UK. In FY21, renewable energy powered 66% of company-operated facilities globally.
We are committed to design, build and operate the world's largest green retail business.
- We are committed to building 10,000 Greener Stores by 2025.
- In FY21, 2,779 Starbucks stores were certified Greener Stores and we expanded the framework to international markets, opening the first Greener Store outside of North America in Shanghai with a focus on circularity.
- Through our FoodShare program in partnership with Feeding America, we have donated nearly 34 million nourishing, ready-to-eat meals to local food banks across the U.S.
We are working to reduce waste promoting reusability and making packaging sustainable.
- We are working to develop 100% compostable and recyclable hot cups by 2022.
- We continue to replace traditional plastic straws with new compostable options around the globe but still have plastic straws available for those who need them. To eliminate traditional plastic straws, we reduced demand through the rollout of strawless lids, which has approximately 9% less plastic.
- We plan to launch a new cup in the fall of 2022 that will meet our goal to include 20% recycled content in our hot cups.