Starbucks launched Mobile Order & Pay in Portland, Oregon (December 3, 2014) and expects to introduce this feature nationally beginning in 2015.
Mobile Order & Pay allows customers to place orders in advance of their visit and pick them up at their chosen Starbucks® store. The mobile ordering experience is seamlessly integrated into Starbucks world-class mobile app and My Starbucks Rewards® loyalty program. Mobile Order & Pay is available for customers using a Starbucks® app for iPhone® (version 3.2)* in markets where the feature is available.
Store locations appear based on the GPS functionality of a customer’s iPhone®. Upon first use, customers will be asked to accept location services allowing Starbucks to identify the nearest location offering Mobile Order & Pay. If customers choose not to accept location services, they will not be able to use the Mobile Order & Pay feature but will have access to the Starbucks® Mobile Menu.
How Mobile Order & Pay works
To use Mobile Order & Pay, customers may:
1. Click on the “Order” option at the top right of the screen
2. Select the food and beverage items to order: Just as in-stores, beverages are customizable, including the option to modify size, number of espresso shots, dairy selections and more.
3. Select the participating store for pick up: Approximate wait times will be viewable on the customer’s phone prior to selecting store location. Directions will also be available if needed.
4. Confirm by clicking “order:” At the time of order, payment is made from the customer’s registered Starbucks Card.
5. Proceed to the selected Starbucks® store to pick up food and beverages: Orders are immediately sent to the selected store where Starbucks partners (baristas) will begin preparing the items.
*This feature will be available for customers using the Starbucks® app for Android™ in 2015 as national rollout of mobile ordering continues.