Ginger Apple Cream Scones are so simple and good – with tender crumbs, flecks of apple, and hints of ginger and cinnamon. Not too sweet, they need only a small smidge of butter and honey. Enjoy with a cup of hot Starbucks® Cinnamon Dolce K-Cup® Packs (made for use with the Keurig® K-Cup brewer).
Blogger Alice Currah of Sweet Savory Lifeshares her recipe for a delicious start to a weekend morning.
Ginger Apple Cream Scones
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 5 tablespoons candied ginger strips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar plus 1 tablespoon for dusting
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the shredded apple, sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together. Set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, salt and butter to a food processor. Pulse the flour and butter mixture until it resembles coarse corn meal. Transfer the mix to a large bowl.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons candied ginger (minced) to the flour mixture.
- Add the apple mixture and its liquid, heavy cream, egg, and vanilla extract to the dry scone mixture. Mix the dough by hand until it just comes together. You do not want to over mix.
- Generously flour a cutting surface. Take all the dough and form a large dough ball. Flatten the dough to a one inch disk on top of the prepared surface. Cut the disk into 8 equal triangles.
- Transfer the scones to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or silicon mat.
- Bake the scones for 15 minutes.
- While the scones are baking, mix the confectioners' sugar, milk, allspice, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the glaze in the microwave for 25 seconds. Whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Once the scones are done baking, transfer the scones to a cooling rack. Place the cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet and glaze the tops of the scones using a pastry brush.
- Garnish each scone with a few strips of the remaining candied ginger and a dusting of confectioners' sugar.
K-Cup® packs for use in Keurig® K-Cup® brewing systems. Keurig, the Cup and Star Design, Keurig Brewed, K-Cup and the Keurig brewer trade dress are trademarks of Keurig Green Mountain, Inc., used with permission.
Starbucks compensated Alice Currah to share one of her recipes.