Visionary baker Pascal Rigo has been a part of the Starbucks family since 2012, bringing his signature La Boulange™ baked goods to thousands of stores across the United States. Here he shares a favorite brunch dish that you can make ahead to surprise mom this Mother’s Day. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup, side of mixed berries, and a hot cup of Starbucks® Gold Coast Blend®.
Fantastic French Toast
- Butter for greasing the muffin pan
- 8 slices (1-inch thick) brioche or plain white sandwich bread
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Warm maple syrup for serving
- Gather your ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Cut the bioche into large dice. You should have 5 to 6 cups of diced bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, and sugar, and then whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the bread cubes, stir well, and allow the bread to soak for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan, dividing it evenly among the cups. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan, dust with confectioners’ sugar, and serve warm with maple syrup.
- Makes 12 muffin-size French toasts
- The French toast can be made in advance, cooled and wrapped well, and frozen for several weeks. Reheat in a microwave for 2 minutes or in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
From Café Cooking at Home by Pascal Rigo and the chefs and bakers of La Boulange with photography by David Vergne. Now available at La Boulange® bakeries in the San Francisco Bay Area and select U.S. Starbucks® stores.