Starbucks Holiday Red Cups Come to Life, Signaling the Return of the Merriest Season
SEATTLE, November 15, 2011 - Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ: SBUX) celebrates the launch of the holiday season with an innovative new mobile app. This year, Starbucks will make the season come alive with Starbucks Cup Magic, an augmented reality app customers can download for free and use to discover Starbucks holiday characters found on iconic red cups, coffee bags and signage. Customers can watch beloved holiday characters leap to life in various merry holiday scenes. From carolers singing holiday tunes, to an ice skater practicing her spins, to a boy and his dog having a wonderful time sledding down a hill, the Starbucks Cup Magic app allows customers to interact with Starbucks characters in a festive and fun way, Starbucks-style, for the very first time.
Not only will customers be able to bring Starbucks holiday characters to life, they will also be able to use the new app to pass merry sentiment this holiday season. The Starbucks Cup Magic app allows users to share a snapshot of the merry scene via email or Facebook or simply click a button to send a Starbucks Card eGift to friends, family or anyone else on their holiday list. The Starbucks Cup Magic app is available now for download for iPhone devices in the U.S. and Canada, iPod touch devices in the U.S., and coming soon to customers with Android™-powered devices. To learn more, visit www.Starbucks.com/merry.
"As part of Starbucks efforts to find innovative ways to engage customers and bring the Starbucks Experience to life, we are excited to introduce this fun new Starbucks Cup Magic app for customers to use to interact with holiday characters," said Annie Young-Scrivner, global chief marketing officer, Starbucks Coffee Company. "We are also happy to provide a warm and comfortable gathering place for our customers to connect over their favorite holiday beverage or serve as a one-stop-shop for a special gift for anyone on your list."
In addition, to kick off the season, Nov. 17-20 customers are invited to bring a friend to one of Starbucks participating stores throughout the U.S. and Canada between 2-5 p.m. to enjoy a free handcrafted holiday beverage with the purchase of any holiday beverage of greater or equal value. Customers can experience the first taste of the season through the return of StarbucksÂ® popular holiday beverages, including Peppermint Mocha, Gingerbread Latte, Eggnog Latte, and Caramel Brulée Latte, as well as the much anticipated new Skinny Peppermint Mocha, one of the most requested beverages on MyStarbucksIdea.com.
StarbucksÂ® Holiday Beverage Portfolio
Customers can enjoy StarbucksÂ® seasonal beverages rooted in more than four decades of holiday spirit including:
- NEW! Skinny Peppermint Mocha – Fans of StarbucksÂ® classic seasonal beverage can enjoy a lighter interpretation of their favorite holiday treat. Prepared with sugar-free peppermint syrup and skinny mocha sauce, the new Skinny Peppermint Mocha is just 110 calories for a Tall (12 fl oz.) beverage.
- Peppermint Mocha – A seasonal favorite featuring a combination of espresso with bittersweet chocolate, peppermint flavored syrup and steamed milk, topped with whipped cream and chocolate curls.
- Gingerbread Latte – This ever popular beverage blends the flavor of freshly baked gingerbread, with espresso and steamed milk, topped by whipped cream and ground nutmeg.
- Caramel Brulée Latte – A holiday delight, this beverage features a combination of rich caramel sauces, espresso and steamed milk and is topped with whipped cream and shimmery caramel pieces.
- Eggnog Latte – Starbucks wildly popular interpretation of holiday eggnog features rich espresso with subtle holiday spices, making it a perfect choice for a crisp fall or winter day.
Savor a Sweet Holiday Indulgence – Starbucks Petites™
Building on the popularity of Starbucks Petites™, a line of perfectly-sized, surprisingly indulgent treats launched earlier this year, customers can enjoy two new seasonal Petites this holiday:
- NEW! Peppermint Brownie Cake Pop – Delicious peppermint chocolate cake is mixed with butter cream icing and candy cane pieces, and is then dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with candy cane bits.
- NEW! Chocolate CrÃÂ¨me Whoopie Pie – Light and fluffy vanilla butter cream frosting is sandwiched between two small cocoa chocolate cakes, elegantly topped off with a white drizzle.
At Home or On-The-Go with StarbucksÂ® Seasonal Holiday Coffees
In 1985, Starbucks introduced what has become one of the most admired and anticipated coffees in our entire coffee portfolio – StarbucksÂ® Christmas Blend. New this year, customers can purchase StarbucksÂ® Christmas Blend Ground – perfect for customers who seek convenience, as well as a 30 oz. bag – an ideal size for parties or brewing at home throughout the season. This sweet and spicy coffee is also available in Starbucks VIAÂ® Christmas Blend instant coffee – ideal for customers on-the-go this holiday season. Additionally, StarbucksÂ® Christmas Blend Espresso Roast is returning for second year. This coffee boasts an intense flavor profile with an unforgettable spicy finish.
The Gifting Destination for Anyone on Your List
Starbucks continues to be the perfect place for the perfect gift for your entire gift list. For home entertaining, thoughtful last-minute or hostess gifts, or just a special treat, Starbucks offers an array of relevant gift-able merchandise including a new Pour Over Gift Set and holiday Cake Pop Kit. Also, beginning Dec. 13 while supplies last, customers can load five Starbucks Cards for any amount in one easy transaction with the Starbucks Card Multipack. From exquisite gift sets to a beautiful assortment of seasonal mugs and tumblers to the ever popular Starbucks Card, you are sure to find just the right gift.
Customers using iPhone and iPod touch devices can download the Starbucks Cup Magic app at the App Store at www.itunes.com/appstore.
About Starbucks Corporation
Since 1971, Starbucks Coffee Company has been committed to ethically sourcing and roasting the highest-quality arabica coffee in the world. Today, with stores around the globe, the company is the premier roaster and retailer of specialty coffee in the world. Through our unwavering commitment to excellence and our guiding principles, we bring the unique Starbucks Experience to life for every customer through every cup. To share in the experience, please visit us in our stores or online at www.starbucks.com.
Photos/MultimediaÂ Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50070229&lang=en