This year marks the 50th anniversary of Starbucks. From the beginning, Starbucks has sought to be a different kind of company, one that inspires and nurtures the human spirit, and brings people together over coffee to create a better future. Starbucks vision for the future is to remain focused on connections over coffee, being a resource positive company, and creating a better future for its partners (employees) and the communities it serves.
As Starbucks looks to the future, the company is focused on its aspirations to give more than it takes from the planet and help create a sustainable future for coffee growing communities. Starbucks Planet Positive initiative is a multi-decade commitment to become a resource positive company, including goals to reduce its carbon, water, and waste footprints by 50 percent by 2030. Also, as part of its Planet Positive initiative, Starbucks recently announced a new goal to achieve Carbon Neutral Green Coffee and conserve water usage in green coffee processing by 50% by 2030.
During April, Starbucks is highlighting its Planet Positive initiatives and inviting customers to participate in several ways. Starbucks is introducing the new Starbucks Earth Month Game to its loyalty members as an opportunity to share details about its Planet Positive efforts and progress. Customers can support reusability with a selection of tumblers, hot cups and cold cups that feature recycled materials; and, in honor of the next 50 years of coffee, Starbucks recently introduced Starbucks Odyssey BlendTM crafted from three coffee regions that embody the innovative and responsible ways in which the farmers in the regions grow, cultivate and process coffee.
The new Starbucks Earth Month Game gives Starbucks® Rewards members a chance to win more than 2.5 million prizes, cast a vote towards tree reforestation projects, and learn more about the Starbucks Planet Positive commitment to become a resource positive company.
Starbucks Earth Month Game
The new game is a combination of an instant win game called “Choice & Chance” and puzzle game called “Play & Plant”. Starbucks Rewards members can earn plays on eligible transactions at participating Starbucks stores. Members must pay using a Starbucks Card or linked payment method, or by scanning the Starbucks app prior to checkout to earn a play. (Limit two plays per day).
Throughout the game, players will earn additional “plays” by participating in weekly activities – from saying “no” to single-use plastic straws and trying meatless breakfast choices, to voting for their favorite nondairy beverage or reading articles about combatting food waste.
In the “Choice & Chance” portion of the game, players can select an item for a chance to win prizes ranging from coupons for free non-dairy beverages to money off select food items and reusable merchandise. There will also be the chance to enter a sweepstakes to win grand prizes such as an electric bike prize package from Rad Power Bikes and nondairy drinks from Starbucks for a year. *
In the “Play & Plant” puzzle game, as players complete each level, they have the chance to vote on which One Tree Planted reforestation effort in the U.S. Starbucks donation of 250,000 trees will go towards. Players will be able to select between four reforestation projects:
- Habitats for Biodiversity: Trees support healthy ecosystems where the soil, plants, waterways and wildlife can all thrive together.
- Forest Fire Restoration: Fires burn off available seed supply within the soil—new trees help make the landscape lush again.
- Clean Water: Because trees play a key role in capturing, filtering and retaining rainwater, reforestation can significantly improve water supplies.
- Climate Stability: Trees cool the planet by storing harmful greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide in their trunks, branches and leaves.
To learn more about the One Tree Planted reforestation projects visit onetreeplanted.org/pages/starbucks.
A link for the Starbucks Earth Month Game will be available for Starbucks Rewards members in the Starbucks app starting April 1; the game will end on April 30, 2021.
Starbucks Odyssey Blend Coffee
On March 30, Starbucks introduced its newest blend of whole bean coffee, Starbucks Odyssey Blend. Starbucks is focused on a more sustainable future for the coffee industry and continuing support for coffee farmers and their communities, Starbucks Odyssey Blend was created to highlight this work and to celebrate coffee, people, and planet.
Starbucks Odyssey Blend is crafted from beans sourced from West Java, Rwanda and Peru, all specifically chosen for how they embody the key pillars of coffee, people and planet, as well the innovative and responsible ways in which the farmers in the region grow, cultivate and process coffee.
- Coffee: Starbucks history is rich in West Java, a region that represents the new frontier of growing coffee in Indonesia where farmers are delivering high-quality beans with new, unique flavors while also prioritizing the conservation.
- People: Starbucks Farmer Support Center in Kigali, Rwanda is working to support farmers with sustainable farming practices to improve their quality and yield while also helping to reduce their carbon impact on the environment. Starbucks has invested in new wet mills to help reduce water usage in green coffee processing by up to 80%, and Rwanda is the first country to join the Sustainable Coffee Challenge, a global industry coalition led by Conservation International, with the goal of making coffee the world’s first sustainable agricultural product.
- Planet: Starbucks has been offering coffee from Peru since 1971. Most recently Starbucks is working with farmers in the northern region to further refine the coffee quality and increase farm productivity, including reducing water consumption and the carbon footprint from green coffee processing.
“This is our love letter to coffee – 50 years in the making. The three distinct origins that make up Odyssey Blend were chosen for the trailblazing way the coffee was grown, cultivated, and processed. The three coffees create a blend that charts a new path. This is a complex medium roast that displays expressive citrus notes of tangerine zest, a sweet and syrupy body and a wild-honey floral finish.” Sergio Alvarez, Starbucks Coffee Developer.
Printed on each bag of Starbucks Odyssey Blend is a QR code that directs customers to the Starbucks Traceability page, where customers can learn more about the coffee’s journey from bean to cup and the people and places behind Starbucks coffee.
In addition to being available for purchase as a whole bean coffee for a limited time, Starbucks Odyssey Blend will also be offered as brewed coffee in most Starbucks stores in the U.S. April 5-11.
Customers can support reusability by selecting from a variety of merchandise items. The new merchandise includes a to-go hot and cold cup, as well as a reusable tote made with post-consumer recycled materials. This smart (and stylish) collection is available in Starbucks stores for a limited time while supplies last.
- Starbucks® Earth Day To-Go Hot Cup (16 oz) and To-Go Cold Cup (24 oz): Take soothing sips from these tonal mint green cups in hot or cold options and reuse them over and over again.
- Siren Waves Tote Bag: Support reusability with this gorgeous recycled, mint colored tote bag—carry your things responsibly. Made from 100% post-consumer recycled PET.
Starbucks is also offering a collection of drinkware made from recycled materials that are available in Starbucks stores in the U.S. throughout the year.
- Mint Recycled Plastic Tumbler (16 oz): This gorgeous mint colored plastic tumbler is made with 100% recycled plastic, and of that, at least 25% of the recycled plastic is post-consumer, the remaining material is post-industrial recycled material.
- Stainless Steel Tumbler with Recycled Plastic Lid (12 oz): The lid on this tumbler is made with 100% recycled polypropylene plastic and at least 25% of the recycled plastic is post-consumer, and the remaining material is post-industrial recycled material.
- Clear Luster Recycled Glass Water Bottle: Give your hydration habit a fashionable flare with this recycled glass water bottle. The glass is made with 100% post-consumer recycled glass.
- Recycled Glass Cold Cup (16 oz): Be the envy of those around you and feel like you are doing some good with this mint green 100% post-consumer recycled glass cold cup.
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES (D.C.) 18 AND OLDER AND WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE STARBUCKS® REWARDS LOYALTY PROGRAM AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Participating stores only. Promotion ends 4/30/21. For Official Rules, how to enter without purchase, prizes, and odds, visit https://www.starbucksearthmonthgame.com. Sponsor: Starbucks Corporation, 2401 Utah Ave. S, Seattle, WA 98134.
Non-Dairy Drinks for a Year will be fulfilled as a daily credit for one free item for one (1) year, which can be redeemed at participating stores.
Entrants can receive a maximum of 2 plays per day, plus, bonus opportunities to earn additional plays.
Game plays may be earned on eligible transactions at a participating Starbucks store. You must pay with your registered Starbucks Card or linked payment method, or by scanning your Starbucks App prior to checkout. Purchases of alcohol, Starbucks Cards and Starbucks Card reloads are excluded. See starbucks.com/terms for details.