Today, Starbucks is launching the Circular Cup in UK stores. A reusable cup, made in the UK, from approximately six single-use paper cups.
Starbucks Circular Cup offers a sustainable solution to waste materials by giving recycled coffee cups a new lease of life, building upon Starbucks ongoing sustainability commitments and aspirations to become resource positive.
The collaboration with Circular&Co. – Cornish based producer of sustainable products – has allowed them to scale up and move production of the Circular Cup from China to a factory in St Austell, Cornwall. The relocation of production has created 11 new high-skilled jobs for the region and significantly reduces Circular Cup’s carbon footprint.
How used paper coffee cups get turned into a Starbucks Circular Cup
- Starbucks collects millions of used paper coffee cups in their stores every year
- Big bundles of these cups are first taken to Wales to be industrially cleaned, and shredded down to turn the old paper cups into a sturdier reusable one
- The recycled cups are blended with a recycled plastic to form a strong resin, used in the cups outer layer
- In Cornwall, the factory transforms the fully recycled material back into cup form, using moulds
- Once finished, the cups are sent to Starbucks stores across the country, ready for customers to give the once coffee cup a new life as the Starbucks Circular Cup
Made and designed in the UK, here are the unique features
- 100% leak-proof and easy open/shut lid.
- Full aroma experience thanks to a 360-degree opening instead of the usual small opening you see on reusable cups. The 360-degree opening also allows you to drink from the Circular cup just like a normal open cup.
- As well as being dishwasher safe, Circular Cup is 100% recyclable*, keeping all the materials part of the circular economy, and ready to be used again, and again.
Grab a Starbucks Circular Cup in stores across the UK** now, and enjoy 25p off every time you use it.
*Check with your local authority whether you can put polypropylene (PP) plastic in your curbside recycling.
** England, Scotland, Wales only