Starbucks celebrates 10 years in Vietnam
Starbucks is committed to strengthening customer experience, promoting sustainability and uplifting communities
Since the opening of the first store in Ho Chi Minh City, Starbucks Vietnam has been nurturing human connection and uplifting local communities with every cup of coffee served. This year, Starbucks Vietnam celebrates its 10-year anniversary with the unveiling of the newly renovated New World store, the first store opened in the market, and nationwide anniversary promotions from January to May.
In the decade since the brand entered the market, Starbucks Vietnam is currently in 8 Vietnamese cities/provinces and has over 1,200 partners (employees) in 92 stores delivering the Starbucks Experience every day.
Paying tribute to Vietnam’s heritage and culture, many Starbucks® stores in Vietnam feature unique architectural styles and traditional elements, such as the Starbucks® Tran Hung Dao store in Hoi An.
"I am proud of our accomplishments over the past decade and this is just the beginning. This journey would not have been possible without the support of our customers and partners. We are very grateful and want to share our achievements with them," said Patricia Marques, general manager of Starbucks Vietnam. "We look forward to the future of Starbucks in Vietnam – quality, elevated coffee experiences for our customers, to contribute positively to our communities and give more than we take from the planet will remain our key priorities."
The 10th anniversary celebration of Starbucks Vietnam kicked off in January. First-phase promotions included a range of limited-edition merchandise, customers programs and giveaway activities. The second-phase started in May, featuring the unveiling of the newly renovated Starbucks® New World, the first Starbucks® store in Vietnam.
The special space has been transformed into a brand new, cozy and beautifully-designed coffee house. Customers will have access to a wide range of merchandise items, all while enjoying their favorite Starbucks beverages on this unique commemoration.
Starbucks Vietnam’s Commitment to Communities and Sustainability
Besides a decade of coffee inspiration for customers, Starbucks Vietnam, together with its partners, has also created more positive impact to the local communities it serves.
Since 2016, Starbucks Vietnam has supported in providing professional and life-skills training to young people through its partnership with nonprofit organizations such as The Asia Foundation and REACH.
In 2023, Starbucks Vietnam began a new initiative with Youth Social Work Club through a $20,000 USD Global Community Impact Grant from The Starbucks Foundation to support 150 Vietnamese youth with skills to help them integrate into the community and seek employment.
Together with partners who volunteered their time, Starbucks Vietnam has also extended efforts to work with charitable organizations and supported community projects such as:
- Access to water: Supported the Planet Water Foundation, in partnership with The Starbucks Foundation, and participated in the complete deployment of 9 “AquaTowers” community water systems across Vietnam between 2020 and 2022. These towers made clean and safe drinking water accessible for over 4,000 students and teachers in rural schools, and more than 35,000 locals in rural communities.
- Uplifting women in coffee: Partnered with the International Women’s Coffee Alliance (IWCA) Vietnam to provide women in coffee-growing communities with safety, empowerment and self-confidence workshops along with economic advancement opportunities, supported by a $20,000 USD Global Community Impact Grant from The Starbucks Foundation.
- Community stewardship: Organized clean-up and waste collecting activities across Da Nang, Vung Tau and Ho Chi Minh City.
- Creating safe spaces for children: Built playgrounds and playrooms for disadvantaged children in Hanoi and Hoa Binh province.
In support of Starbucks 2030 goals of reducing carbon, water, and waste footprints by 50%, Starbucks Vietnam also focuses on sustainability efforts.
- Introducing Greener Stores: Starbucks Thiso Mall store is amongst the first stores in the Asia Pacific region certified as Greener Stores in the Asia Pacific region.
- Promoting reusables: Campaigns encouraging customers to shift away from single-use include the "Personal Cup" campaign launched to encourage customers to enjoy their favorite drinks with their own serve ware.
- Resource conversation: For energy conservation, Starbucks Vietnam has partnered with the WWF to run Earth Hour every year.